Handshake | Career Exploration | Internships | Job/Intern Search | Employers | Grad/Prof School
Outcomes | Resources | Events | Alumni Connections | Contact Us
Applied learning opportunities are an integral way for students to gain insight into the world of work, explore vocation, and participate in servant leadership. A student can explore everything from Accounting to Zoology. In the Career Center we view applied learning as having three main components:
- Preparation – including finding a site, interviewing, identifying a supervisor, setting goals for the experience and learning how to make the most of their experience
- Experience – including working with a supervisor and co-workers to not only develop job skills but to learn about vocational choices and journaling as a part of active reflection
- Reflection – including making sense of the student’s experience and what it means for their future vocational choices; implementation of this reflection between our different programs
Ultimately, these "co-curricular" experiences will enhance not only our students’ vocational or job choices, but also their academic choices when it comes to decisions related to majors/minors or graduate/professional school. The Career Center provides guidance on finding internship opportunities in a variety of fields through Austin College sponsored programs or any one of numerous non-college related experiences.
Johnathan Gonzalez '21
Majors: Economics and
Applied Learning: 2021: Labatt Food Services, National Account Administrator;
2017-2021: Web Intern, Austin College Information Technology; Summer
2020: Sales Strategy & Planning Internship, McAfee, Plano; Summer
2019: Accounting Assistant, Advanced Foundation Repair, Dallas; Summer
2018: Team Member, AmeriCorps Equal Heart, Dallas.
Through the Career Center, students may receive assistance in developing off-campus experiences through the Career Study Off-Campus program. *Read more about CSOCs.
The Global Outreach Fellowship supports students in their efforts to gain experience while helping to bring change to the human condition within the world community. *Read more about GO! Fellowships.
Additional Internship Opportunities:
- Social Entrepreneurship for Poverty Alleviation: The SEPA program is designed to increase Austin College student engagement in the local community and collaboration with local nonprofit agencies.
- Environmental Studies Competitive Internships: The Center for Environmental Studies offers competitive summer internships with outstanding environmental organizations that each offer an opportunity to spend part of the summer with a small but nationally known organization that is a recognized leader in its field.
- Center for Southwestern and Mexican Studies: CSMS works individually with each student to make a placement that reflects student interests and abilities.
Internships on Handshake
Handshake's career portal personalizes student's career recommendations, connecting them to local, national, and international companies. Discover exciting new and relevant opportunities and connect with great companies and non-profits. Find your dream job or internship by exploring hundreds of local and non-local organizations!